CKGMS Art Highlights:
1. Last day for First Semester Art Classes is January 27th.
2. We had 58 entries for Scholastics. See a slide show on the easel outside of the art room. We are excited to learn about the judges decisions regarding which pieces (if any) will make it to the regional art show held at the Walter B. Ford building on the CCS campus in downtown Detroit.
- 6th grade HD and Art classes traveled to the Cranbrook Art Museum to see both the Nick Cave Sound Suit and a selection of masks from different cultures. These art historical references are part of our discussion on identity. CAM and CIS staff collaborated to make this experience happen. Thank-you to Cameron Wood and Kelly Lyons! After the visit to CAM, the girls will brainstorm on their individual identity and then plan and create a mask of their own. The masks will be made concurrently in HD and Art classes sharing resources.
- Sept. 9th, 10:10-11am HD/ART to CAM
- Sept. 14th, 10:10-11am. HD/ART to CAM
- 6th grade Art Classes traveled to CIS to see both hand-made pottery from ancient cultures and geological silicates related to clay and glazes. The visit took place in the public gallery area and also in the vault where the very old pottery is kept preserved.
- Sept. 30th, 10:10-11pm Art to CIS
- Oct. 4th, 10:10-11pm, Art to CIS
- 7th grade Art classes traveled to the Cranbrook Art Museum to see the Printmaking Exhibit inside of the Hippie Modernism show. CAM educators brought their portable silk screen kits to the GMS Art room to give our girls a chance to use silk screen printing.
- Sept. 28th, 1:20-2:00pm, ART to CAM
- Sept. 29th, 1:20-2:00pm, ART to CAM
- Oct. 5th, 1:15-2:05pm, CAM to GMS Art room for Silk Screen Workshop
- Oct. 6th, 1:15-2:05pm, CAM to GMS Art room for Silk Screen Workshop
- 7th grade Art classes traveled to the Cranbrook Art Museum to see Architecture models in the Collections wing as part of our Design Architecture Unit. Upon returning to GMS, the girls made paper proto-types of buildings in the Art room and create computer models in TinkerCad for printing.
- Nov. 15th, 1:20-200pm, ART to CAM
- Nov. 16th, 1:20-200pm, ART to CAM
- CCS visit from Sabrina Nelson with a focus on Interior Design TBD
- 8th grade Art classes traveled to the Cranbrook Art Museum to see the John Glick exhibit at the beginning of their ceramic slab container/vase project. At the museum the girls were divided into two person groups to record their responses to specific questions regarding the design and construction processes used by John Glick. Before we left the museum, girls discussed their answers and choices with the group with regard to specific pieces.
- Oct. 5th, 11:45-12:20pm, B group to CAM
- Oct. 6th, 11:45-12:20pm, A group to CAM
- 8th grade Art classesl visited the Ed Gorey Show at the Cranbrook Art Museum for technical and narrative inspiration.
- A group: November 1st, 11:45-12:20pm
- B group: November 2nd, 11:45-12:20pm.
- 8th grade Art classes will be traveling to the Cranbrook Art Museum to see the Chairs in the Collections Wing as part of our Design: Chair Making Unit.Upon returning to the art room, the girls will make paper chair proto-types and then design models of chairs on the computer. Chairs will be made individually, and in collaboration. Computer models of the chairs will be created in TinkerCad to be printed in plastic and shared with visiting Product Design CCS Professor, Steve Schock. See video at https://youtu.be/GylIlWB06Rg
- Nov. 15th, 11:40-12:20pm, Art Classes to CAM
- Nov. 16th, 11:40-12:20pm, Art Classes to CAM.
Last Year’s 2016 Scholastic Art Competition
In 2016 we won 10 awards which is a record for the GMS in recent history. See a video about our winners and the ceremony at https://youtu.be/9a_UbRgJq_Y
Mr. Thies uses this web site to organize information for Art. Student specific information will be occasionally showcased on Mr. Thies’ CranNet pages.
You may e-mail Mr. Thies at email@example.com