CKGMS Art Highlights:
- 6th grade HD and Art classes will be traveling to the Cranbrook Art Museum to see both the Nick Cave Sound Suit and a selection of masks from different cultures. These art historical references are part of our discussion on identity. CAM and CIS staff collaborated to make this experience happen. Thank-you to Cameron Wood and Kelly Lyons! After the visit to CAM, the girls will brainstorm on their individual identity and then plan and create a mask of their own. The masks will be made concurrently in HD and Art classes sharing resources.
- Sept. 9th, 10:10-11am HD/ART to CAM
- Sept. 14th, 10:10-11am. HD/ART to CAM
- 6th grade Art Classes will travel to CIS to see both hand-made pottery from ancient cultures and geological silicates related to clay and glazes. The visit will take place in the public gallery area and also in the vault where the very old pottery is kept preserved. This visit will take place at the start of our coil pot project in the art room.
- Sept. 30th, 10:10-11pm Art to CIS
- Oct. 4th, 10:10-11pm, Art to CIS
- 7th grade Art classes will be traveling to the Cranbrook Art Museum to see the Printmaking Exhibit inside of the Hippie Modernism show. CAM educators will bring their portable silk screen kits to the GMS Art room to give our girls a chance to use silk screen printing. We will repeat a similar printmaking experience with the second semester girls when CAM hosts the Edward Gorey show (Sept. 28th through March).
- Sept. 28th, 1:20-2:00pm, ART to CAM
- Sept. 29th, 1:20-2:00pm, ART to CAM
- Oct. 5th, 1:15-2:05pm, CAM to GMS Art room for Silk Screen Workshop
- Oct. 6th, 1:15-2:05pm, CAM to GMS Art room for Silk Screen Workshop
- 7th grade Art classes will travel to the Cranbrook Art Museum to see Architecture models in the Collections wing as part of our Design Architecture Unit. Upon returning to GMS, the girls will make paper proto-types of buildings in the Art room and create computer models in TinkerCad for printing.
- Nov. 15th, 1:20-200pm, ART to CAM
- Nov. 16th, 1:20-200pm, ART to CAM
- CCS visit from Sabrina Nelson with a focus on Interior Design TBD
- 8th grade Art classes will be traveling to the Cranbrook Art Museum to see the Chairs in the Collections Wing as part of our Design: Chair Making Unit.Upon returning to the art room, the girls will make paper chair proto-types and then design models of chairs on the computer. Chairs will be made individually, and in collaboration. Computer models of the chairs will be created in TinkerCad to be printed in plastic and shared with visiting Product Design CCS Professor, Steve Schock. See video at https://youtu.be/GylIlWB06Rg
- Nov. 15th, 11:40-12:20pm, Art Classes to CAM
- Nov. 16th, 11:40-12:20pm, Art Classes to CAM
- Visit from CCS Professor Steve Schock TBD.
26th Annual Student Art Town Exhibition, Oct. 17-18th.
The Birmingham Community House will recognize all selected students at an Open House on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 from 5:00-8:00PM. Refreshments will be served and all student artists, their families and teachers will be invited to attend the festivities. All students will receive a certificate of merit for their artwork for being nominated by their teacher. Based on decisions made by a qualified juror, overall 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes as well as honorable mentions will be awarded to high school students. Middle school students will be selected for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prize awards. The ceremony for secondary students will be at 7pm.
Seventh Grade: Helen Q. and Charlotte B.
Eighth Grade: Anya T., Jordan F., Stephanie N. Olivia D., and Rachel A.
Last Year’s Eighth Grade: Rachael K.
Last Year’s 2016 Scholastic Art Competition
In 2016 we won 10 awards which is a record for the GMS in recent history. See a video about our winners and the ceremony at https://youtu.be/9a_UbRgJq_Y
Mr. Thies uses this web site to organize information for Art. Student specific information will be occasionally showcased on Mr. Thies’ CranNet pages.
You may e-mail Mr. Thies at firstname.lastname@example.org